Hi Rich,

A couple of points about your two QWord mailings.

You mentioned the difficulty of looking at the source code for EasyPtr to allow it to use the new colours. I think there is another problem. Many of us are grateful for EasyPtr for providing a simple way to learn pointer programming, but it does have its limitations. I doubt very much whether you could have written QWord in EasyPtr. I suspect that we shall have to look at the QPTR and TPTR to see if they are easier to learn once you have grasped the fundamentals of pointer programming using EasyPtr.

The second is a tribute to George Gwilt. QWord will, I believe, be the first commercial pointer program compiled by Turbo. This would have been impossible a couple of years ago. George is maintaining and revising Turbo, but no one is doing this for QLiberator so the  continuing compatibility of the latter is not guaranteed. You can compile some, but not all, EasyPtr programs with Turbo. Among the ones you cannot compile are all those using application sub window menus. This is another reason for considering alternatives to EasyPtr.

I have a special reason to thank George this weekend. A client who makes serious use of the very old non-pointer version of Solvit-Plus reported on Thursday that it does not load on QPC2 running on WindowsXP although it does on a Windows98 machine. All I had to do was recompile using the latest Turbo, and the client should get his working copy tomorrow.

Geoff Wicks

PS Have safely received your private email and attachment - I want to do some more testing and will give a reaction early next week.