In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, =?iso-8859-7?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKNbv3+Lv8iDRLiDN9Pzq7/IpIg==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

<SNIP>
Roy you are not exactly right when you argue that laser printers need repairs very often. You tend to forget that most people take a laser printer for granted. In the amount of time a laser printer will need repairs it has probably already printed 10 times as much as an impact printer and at the cost of consumables it's already paid off its price.
Actually I did not say they needed repairs just consumables such as drums etc. Yes I agree that most laser printers will print for a long time without needing a new drum (Kyocera guarantee their drums for life but they don't say whose life it is) or fuser unit.
Regarding the "Modern" printers argument, I think that it is faulty. What you call modern printers are in reality windows-consumer oriented printers.
But that is exactly what most people have to buy. Yes there will be business oriented printers around for a while but do not fool yourself into believing this will always be the case. As computer speeds increase the overheads and result speed drops created by the use of networks will eventually lead to their demise.
One thing that will be phased out eventually however is the parallel port as new asynchronous serial ports offer faster speeds without the cabling and distance prohibitions. That's where we should be concentrating and not drivers that can or could develop as turnover for printers in the low end category is months not years nowadays.
As you say this is not the issue. The main problem is actually getting the QL programs to output something to a modern printer that it can any kind of sense of.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.

  • ... Peter Fox
  • ... Jerome Grimbert
  • ... gwicks
  • ... Dilwyn Jones