agreed.. i just didnt want people to think it would make or break them
if the way the hostname was grabbed.  why not give people a choice?
then you dont have complaints.

 my $hostname_method = 0;   # 0-hardcode, 1-dynamic
 my $hostname='localhost';

 if ($hostname_method) {
   # HOSTNAME GRABBED DYNAMICALLY
   open(ME,"/var/qmail/control/me");
   flock(ME,2);
   my $temphost=<ME>;
   close(ME);
   $temphost =~ s/[^A-Za-z0-9\-\.]//g; # strip invalid chars
   $temphost =~ m/(.*)/;  # gotta do it to make it taint safe.. blah
   $hostname = $1;
 }