Tina,

my knowledge is vague and dated, but maybe it is enough to get you going,
and maybe others can chime in to fill the gaps I've left.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Tina <aanandt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been reading material in the book 'Qooxdoo Beginner's Guide' for GUI
> automated testing and it mentions downloading v1.4.1 , Mozilla Rhino, and
> Selenium RC server to set up using 'simulator' for your Qooxdoo test code.
> I realize this info is outdated (from 2010) and I currently am running
> Qooxdoo v5.0.1.  So, here are my questions:
>
> 1).  What in your opinion is the best way to integrate GUI Automation
> testing with Qooxdoo web applications?  Does this method provide a tool
> that
> recognizes all user interface elements built using Qooxdoo so I can
> incorporate them easily into the test code?

You are right, Selenium has evolved and the current technology is called
Selenium Webdriver, which marks a complete new approach compared to
Selenium RC. Still, I think Selenium Webdrive is your best bet when it
comes to automating tests of browser applications (at least if you look for
free tools), so I would recommend you to looking into that. qooxdoo's own
test suite used to use it.

> 2.) There are also some old posts on using selenium and improvements being
> made (again 2010).  If this is the best path to take, please provide or
> point me to up-to-date instructions on the tools I need to download and how
> to set-up for GUI automated testing.

Significant work has been done to re-create qooxdoo's automatic framework
testing with Selenium Webdriver. IIRC the main challenge here is to provide
good selector support for the Webdriver platform, so test code can interact
with a qooxdoo application comfortably and reliably.

I don't know the current state of affairs, and I cannot offer step-by-step
instructions on how to use it, but a good starting point seems to be this
repository

   https://github.com/qooxdoo/qxwebdriver-java

It used to be the basis of qooxdoo's internal GUI tests. This repo also
contains a usage example, a Getting Started tutorial, and has its own test
suite to look at. I have never worked with this platform myself so I cannot
comment further, but I think tests will have to be written in Java, or at
least a JVM language like Groovy or Clojure. You might be able to utilize
Nashorn, the JavaScript engine that comes with Java 8, but again, that's
just guessing and I cannot speak from experience. But I think Daniel has
done a good job of making the whole thing accessible.

If and how this platform still hooks into the 'simulator' infrastructure we
once used (and which used to be available in qooxdoo SDK projects through
the Generator) is beyond me.

HTH,
T.