SQ,

> Excellent thoughts Stefan!
>
> My quick thoughts on your questions (please point out holes in my logic
> where you see them):
>
> Take the list of images in this file
> (https://github.com/sqville/sqv/blob/master/source/class/sqv/theme/clean/Image.js)
> as the official list of images that I am going to convert to code. Now i
> will break down the list by approach:
>
> 1) 5% of images can be converted to standard qx decorator entries (Low
> impact on performance; Standard qx functionality; *"Very Safe"*). Standard
> qx testing approaches apply.
> An example is a simple box. A simple box can be rendered by setting border
> values

this is good -> embedded

> 2) The rest of the images will need psudo elements (after and before) to
> render and will use standard CSS functionality (no CSS3). Addition of the
> CSS elements and rules will use qx's existing approach and cross browser
> checks (i.e. qx.core.Environment). Medium impact on performance; Uses
> prescribed qx functionality; Increases overall file size; *"Safe" (in my
> opinion)*

it is ok too -> embedded

> 3) Mix of #1, #2 + CSS3 - Since CSS3 is in the mix, here is where your full
> list of thoughts apply. Low to High impact on performance. Larger file size
> if heavy CSS3 animation is utilized. Broad browser coverage enabled by
> qx.core.Environment checks. Browser compatibility limited by browser's CSS3
> handling capabilities.

must be measured -> compare standard qooxdoo with the same number of classes
with a forked and changed qooxdoo

> Research topics:
>  - How "CSSImages" (which i am calling this for now) impacts the Image
> object's parent object (Atom, Button, etc.)

important question

>  - These new "CSSImages" become small little islands of CSS code,
> unreachable by theme code - Is this proper?

rather...
can themes still be developed...?
does it break the existing theme chain and how exactly?

>  - Can this be better handled using an external .css file referenced in the
> app's config.json file (i.e. like qx.Mobile css handling using getCssClass()
> function within Application code)?

outside -> not embedded ...I don't like this approach! ...by the way you step
out of your initial bothering of massive load of images instead of local
rendering

> We've reached the end of my work here. Any thoughts beyond this point is new
> territory :-)

The best way to test the idea and measure it is to...
- fork qooxdoo
- make changes -> local rendering
- measure and compare standard qooxdoo with forked one

What does the rest of the community say?
Is this something we should put energy into?
In case of a positive answer from community...are you SQ ready to make a test
fork?

Stefan