On Sat, 23 May 2009, J wrote:

A manual connection where I connect, helo, then quit - stays in the
process table.

If you strace that process, you'll see that it goes back to select() waiting for a new connection on the socket. You should expect each child process to be reused up to 100 times.

A manual connection where I connect, couple bad commands, server dumps me
- gone from the process table.

I don't see that. I see the process which writes "521 Closing connection. 4 unrecognized commands. Perhaps you should read RFC 2821?" goes back to select().

Again, seems to be some progress, but not complete, yet.

Are you noticing any actual functional problems?