On Sun, 24 May 2009, J wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009, J wrote:

Looks like I may have been mistaken. I connected twice from the same
system, and I think what actually happened is that the one process was
reused.

Because when I make one connection each from different systems, two
processes were still in the process table. Appears that if one process was
created for a system (IP?), then that one will be reused for that same
system (IP?), maybe.

...while the (non-disappearing) connections appear like:

./qpsmtpd-prefork [192.168.1.50 : testlaptop : 23:12:05 2009-05-23]

It certainly appears that the processes (like above) get reused, but only
for the IP address that previously connected to it. I put the box on the
Internet for a while and I got several (obviously spammer) connections,
and they each left their own process behind after disconnecting.

The processes were there before the spammer connected, and they remain there after.

I think there might be an issue here however, which is that the modified @ARGV is not set back to pre-connection state when the peer disconnects.

If I get time today, I'll drop the total connections and see what happens
when there are more connections than allowed - do the IP related processes
die off so a new one can start with the new IP?

(I find it a bit disconcerting having all these processes hanging around.)

You shouldn't be. You asked for persistent processes when you switched from forkserver to prefork.