On Jun 22, 2009, at 0:27, Baltasar Cevc wrote:

What should be considered, when talking about switching to such a (even if only slightly) more complicated model: it makes the start with Qpsmtpd more difficult. I consider the simplicity of the plugin scheme one of the major strengths of qp. I can just install it and tweak one or two examples and have a first running system. Interdependence would add complexity and make that more difficult.

Yes - thanks for bringing that up.

I completely agree that the current system is littered with lost opportunities for making it more powerful and easier to customize. However I think a big part of what got everyone here is how easy it is to sit down and get your idea of a useful SMTP tweak working.

Over the years my favorite kind of qpsmtpd feedback have been the ones from people telling they are new to Perl, but they had $foo working the same day they started giving it a go.

Right now all the plugins plug straight into the core in a very one at a time fashion making it easy to understand. Obviously this isn't really working (or we wouldn't have all the duplicated whitelist stuff and various hacky ways for the plugins to communicate); but I'd like to think that the fix of that could preserve or even improve the ease of making a new plugin.

 - ask

--
http://develooper.com/