I've been using Peristeen since it first came out. My traditional program of
suppositories and fleets gradually become more and more time consuming until it
lasted for hours, was painful, and   triggered dysreflexia. it was also leaving
me with bowel accident so often I was afraid to leave the house. Peristeen has
been a complete game changer.  It's not as messy so using it is easier on my
attendants.  it does not trigger dysreflexia for me.  it's not painful, unless
I have a hemorrhoid (regular hemorrhoid cream the night before is taking care
of that).  it takes the predictable amount of time and is comparatively speedy
(about 45 minutes beginning to end every other day), so I can add it to my
morning routine without it messing up my busy schedule.

Perhaps most importantly, it is EFFECTIVE.  It actually cleans me out and I
almost never have bowel mishaps, anymore.  this has been a humongous benefit to
going out, making travel plans (It's very portable, fitting in a midsized
purse), my love life ( it not only eliminated untimely accidents it removed the
mood to killing anxiety of potential accidents), etc.   I hadn't really
realized how my old bowel management program had compromised my quality of life
until I saw the difference Peristeen made.   In fact, I would say it was at the
very top of the list of the products that have made my quadriplegia manageable,
along with a Sure Hands lift,  a Ride wheelchair cushion,  accessible minivan,
and Alexa as a smart home controller.

The only downside I experienced with Peristeen was its cost.  Since it wasn't
covered initially by my insurance, I had to pay out-of-pocket around $300 A
MONTH.  This was rough to handle but since it dramatically increased the time I
had for work, and allowed me to go to the office without racing home from bowel
accidents, it was worth it financially.  it took a few years but eventually I
found a doctor in my network (Kaiser Permanente) that believed in the benefits
of Peristeen  to advocate for it internally. Late last year, my insurance
decided to cover it completely.

If Peristeen had not come out when it did, I probably would've ended up with a
colostomy bag.  I understand they can work wonders for some people, but I was
dreading it. Peristeen  gave me options, and a huge boost to my quality of
life.  I rave about it to every Quad and Para I meet. my wife jokes that I'm
trying to get a job at Coloplast (the manufacturer).

 I've been happy to see that Peristeen is is being strongly supported by
Coloplast.  they just came out with an upgraded design that makes the reusable
pump last longer.

 if anybody has more questions about it, please reach out.

Ed Tessier