Thanks for the replies. I cleared Library/Caches and ~/Library/Caches, repaired
permissions twice, deleted user prefs again, disabled saveless documents,
restarted. Save/Cmd-S still generates the "The document could not be saved”
error. Though so far I can Save As and Save a Copy As, so that's slightly
better.

~still troubled~

Jerry