Even I prefer Georges solution to drag the image into the composition, I would
like to point out that the Image Importer patch also has the option to load an
image “synchronously” vs “asynchronously”: Select the patch in the editor, hit
command-2 to reveal some “hidden” options for the patch in the patch inspector.
Check the “Synchronous Download” option. Don’t know if this solves your problem
thought. It also could be a “sandboxing” problem, where Automator isn’t allowed
to access your image file, check the console output for this.

best,

Achim Breidenbach
Boinx Software Ltd.