On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 4:15:06 PM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
> I asked about this back in April this year. It's the way the servers have
> been set up; the servers I have observed always return a poll of 4

Thank you! I went back to the April thread, and learned these peers are
actually not adhering to protocol. Not causing a problem that I see, but out of
an abundance of caution I want to punch out nonconforming peers. Today's was
17.253.2.123, returning a poll of 6. Here was my experience.

After adding "restrict 17.253.2.123 ignore" to ntp.conf, I tried to punch the
peer out dynamically, but neither of these worked on their own:

ntpq> :config restrict 17.253.2.123 ignore
ntpq> :config restrict 17.253.2.123 limited kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery

Without checking the source, I presume this is because access control is
enforced only at association creation time. So I've done:

ntpq> :config restrict 17.253.2.123 ignore
ntpq> :config unpeer 17.253.2.123

and of course that did delete the association. Now I'll just have to keep an
eye on the peer list and see if it comes back.

Cheers!
Edward
--
This is questions@lists.ntp.org