On Mon, Oct 24, 2022, 6:39 PM Edward McGuire <met...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 4:15:06 PM UTC-5, Roger wrote:
> > I asked about this back in April this year. It's the way the servers
> have been set up; the servers I have observed always return a poll of 4
>
> Thank you! I went back to the April thread, and learned these peers are
> actually not adhering to protocol. Not causing a problem that I see,

This doesn't surprise me. Yesterday I was reading the source code for an
RTOS- based NTP embedded device. Both the client and server code were
extremely minimal, covering only the most common use case of unicast
clients against a GPS stratum one server. There was no PLL or any of the
other NTPv4 filtering and selection logic.  The host clock was maintained
in NTP wire format and directly updated from the GPS with no slewing.

Without checking the source, I presume this is because access control is
> enforced only at association creation time.

That is correct.

Cheers,
Dave Hart.