On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:38:55 -0400,Simon Urbanek <simon.urba...@r-project.org>
wrote:

> >> It will look at the timestamp of the source file and delete the package if
> >> it is not before 1980 ;). Otherwise it will send a request for punch cards
> >> with ".C is deprecated, please upgrade to .Call" stamped out :P At that
> >> point I'll be flaming about using the native Aleph interface and not the R
> >> compatibility layer ;)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> > I'll dissent -- I don't think .C is inherently any more dangerous than
> > .Call and prefer it's simplicity in many cases.  Calling C at all is what
> > is inherently dangerous -- I can reference beyond the end of a vector,
> > write over objects that should be read only, and branch to random places
> > using either interface.

> You can always do so deliberately, but with .C you have no way of preventing
> it since you don't even know what is the length! That is certainly far more
> dangerous than .Call where you can simply loop over the length, check that
> the lengths are compatible etc. Also for types like strings .C is a minefield
> that is hard to not blow up whereas .Call it is even more safe than scalar
> arrays. You can do none of that with .C which relies entirely on conventions
> with no recorded semantics.

> > If you are dealing with large objects and worry about memory efficiency
> > then .Call puts more tools at your disposal and is worth the effort.
> > However, I did not find the .Call interface at all easy to use at first

> I guess this depends on the developer and is certainly a
> factor. Personally, I find the subset of the R API needed for .Call
> fairly small and intuitive (in particular when you are just writing a
> safer replacement for .C), but I'm obviously biased. Maybe in a separate
> thread we could discuss this - I'd be happy to write a ref card or cheat
> sheet if I find out what people find challenging on .Call. Nonetheless,
> my point is that it is more than worth investing the effort both in
> safety and performance.

After your previous email I made a mental note "try to finally learn to
use .Call since I often deal with large objects". So, yes, I'd love to see
a ref card and cheat sheet: I have tried learning to use .Call a few
times, but have always gone back to .C since (it seems that) all I needed
to know are just a couple of conventions, and the rest is "C as usual".

You say "if I find out what people find challenging on
.Call". Hummm... can I answer "basically everything"?  I think Terry
Thereneau says, "the things I needed to know are scattered about in
multiple places". When I see the convolve example (5.2 in Writing R
extensions) I understand the C code; when I see the convolve2 example in
5.10.1 I think I can guess what lines "PROTECT(a ..." to "xab =
NUMERIC_POINTER ..."  might be doing, but I would not know how to do that
on my own. Yes, I can go to 5.9.1 to read about PROTECT, then search for
... But, at that point, I've gone back to .C. Of course, this might just
be my laziness/incompetence/whatever.

Best,

R.

> > and we should keep that in mind before getting too pompous in our lectures
> > to the "sinners of .C".  (Mostly because the things I needed to know are
> > scattered about in multiple places.)
> >
> > I might have to ask for an exemption on that timestamp -- the first bits of
> > the survival package only reach back to 1986.  And I've had to change
> > source code systems multiple times which plays hob with the file times,
> > though I did try to preserve the changelog history to forstall some future
> > litigious soul who claims they wrote it first  (sccs -> rcs -> cvs -> svn
> > -> mercurial).   :-)
> >

> ;) Maybe the rule should be based on the date of the first appearance of the
> package, fair enough :)

> Cheers,
> Simon

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte