Don't know how useful it is any more, but back in the days, I gave this talk in
Vienna

http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/useR-2004/Keynotes/Dalgaard.pdf

Looking at it now, perhaps it moves a little too quickly into the hairy stuff.
On the other hand, those were the things that I had found important to figure
out at the time. At a quick glance, I didn't spot anything obviously outdated.

On Mar 22, 2012, at 16:15 , Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:38:55 -0400,Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urba...@r-project.org> wrote:

>>> I'll dissent -- I don't think .C is inherently any more dangerous than
>>> .Call and prefer it's simplicity in many cases.  Calling C at all is what
>>> is inherently dangerous -- I can reference beyond the end of a vector,
>>> write over objects that should be read only, and branch to random places
>>> using either interface.
>
>> You can always do so deliberately, but with .C you have no way of preventing
>> it since you don't even know what is the length! That is certainly far more
>> dangerous than .Call where you can simply loop over the length, check that
>> the lengths are compatible etc. Also for types like strings .C is a
>> minefield that is hard to not blow up whereas .Call it is even more safe
>> than scalar arrays. You can do none of that with .C which relies entirely on
>> conventions with no recorded semantics.
>

>>> If you are dealing with large objects and worry about memory efficiency
>>> then .Call puts more tools at your disposal and is worth the effort.
>>> However, I did not find the .Call interface at all easy to use at first
>
>> I guess this depends on the developer and is certainly a
>> factor. Personally, I find the subset of the R API needed for .Call
>> fairly small and intuitive (in particular when you are just writing a
>> safer replacement for .C), but I'm obviously biased. Maybe in a separate
>> thread we could discuss this - I'd be happy to write a ref card or cheat
>> sheet if I find out what people find challenging on .Call. Nonetheless,
>> my point is that it is more than worth investing the effort both in
>> safety and performance.
>

> After your previous email I made a mental note "try to finally learn to
> use .Call since I often deal with large objects". So, yes, I'd love to see
> a ref card and cheat sheet: I have tried learning to use .Call a few
> times, but have always gone back to .C since (it seems that) all I needed
> to know are just a couple of conventions, and the rest is "C as usual".
>

> You say "if I find out what people find challenging on
> .Call". Hummm... can I answer "basically everything"?  I think Terry
> Thereneau says, "the things I needed to know are scattered about in
> multiple places". When I see the convolve example (5.2 in Writing R
> extensions) I understand the C code; when I see the convolve2 example in
> 5.10.1 I think I can guess what lines "PROTECT(a ..." to "xab =
> NUMERIC_POINTER ..."  might be doing, but I would not know how to do that
> on my own. Yes, I can go to 5.9.1 to read about PROTECT, then search for
> ... But, at that point, I've gone back to .C. Of course, this might just
> be my laziness/incompetence/whatever.
>

> Best,
>

> R.
>

>>> and we should keep that in mind before getting too pompous in our lectures
>>> to the "sinners of .C".  (Mostly because the things I needed to know are
>>> scattered about in multiple places.)

> [...]

Peter Dalgaard, Professor
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd....@cbs.dk  Priv: pda...@gmail.com