David,

For me, on a windows machine, help(package=) results in a summary window
opening in R rather than the detailed help manual that is available through
CRAN.  Others suggested help.start() which takes me to a CRAN library site but
requires me to still click with the mouse to locate the manual for the specific
package.  My function:

manual <- function(library){

LIB <- substitute(library)
LIB <- as.character(LIB)
browseURL(paste("http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/",LIB,"/",LIB,".pdf";,
sep = ""))
}

...takes you right to the online package.  Does R have a similar function
already that opens the detailed pdf as the vignette function does.  I don't
know if the help manuals are downloaded automatically when I download a package
but this would be even better as I would not require internet access to retieve
the help manual.  If r doesn't have a function to do this but does download the
help manuals automatically when I download a package I could use shell.exec()
with the library file path to do the same thing as the function above.  Again
this is all provided that R does not already have a function to do this,
however, I'm guessing there is because of the existance of the vignette()
function

Cheers
Tyler