Hi all,

This could be naivety/stupidity on my part rather than a problem with model
output, but here goes....

I have fitted a fairly simple model

m1<-glm(count~siteall+yrs+yrs:district,family=quasipoisson,weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])

I want to know if yrs (a continuous variable) has a significant unique effect
in the model, so I fit a simplified model with the main effect ommitted...

m2<-glm(count~siteall+yrs:district,family=quasipoisson,weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])

then compare models using anova()
anova(m1,m1b,test="F")

Analysis of Deviance Table

Model 1: count ~ siteall + yrs + yrs:district
Model 2: count ~ siteall + yrs:district
  Resid. Df Resid. Dev   Df Deviance F Pr(>F)
1      1936      75913
2      1936      75913    0        0

The d.f.'s are exactly the same, is this right? Can I only test the
significance of a main effect when it is not in an interaction?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Dr. Simon Pickett
Research Ecologist