Sorry, that was a typo in the email, not the model. So I still have the problem.....

Cheers, Simon.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Harding" <ted.hard...@manchester.ac.uk>
To: "Simon Pickett" <simon.pick...@bto.org>; <r-help@r-project.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:56 AM
Subject: RE: [R] type III effect from glm()

On 19-Feb-09 10:38:50, Simon Pickett wrote:
Hi all,

This could be naivety/stupidity on my part rather than a problem
with model output, but here goes....

I have fitted a fairly simple model

m1<-glm(count~siteall+yrs+yrs:district,family=quasipoisson,
        weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])

I want to know if yrs (a continuous variable) has a significant
unique effect in the model, so I fit a simplified model with the
main effect ommitted...

m2<-glm(count~siteall+yrs:district,family=quasipoisson,
        weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])

So, above, you have fitted two models: m1, m2

then compare models using anova()
anova(m1,m2,test="F")

And here you are comparing two models: m1, m1b

Could this be the reason for your result?

Analysis of Deviance Table

Model 1: count ~ siteall + yrs + yrs:district
Model 2: count ~ siteall + yrs:district
  Resid. Df Resid. Dev   Df Deviance F Pr(>F)
1      1936      75913
2      1936      75913    0        0

The d.f.'s are exactly the same, is this right? Can I only test the
significance of a main effect when it is not in an interaction?

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <ted.hard...@manchester.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861