Following Dr Ripley's advice I looked at the text.rpart documentation a bit more thoroughly and after seeing "The edges connecting the nodes are labeled by left and right splits." I find that the fancy=TRUE invocation does cause a labeling of what you appear to be calling "branches".

See if this minor modification of the rpart example code produces your desired result:

library(rpart)
fit <- rpart(Kyphosis ~ Age + Number + Start, data=kyphosis)
par(mfrow=c(1,1), xpd=NA) # otherwise on some devices the text is clipped
plot(fit)
text(fit, use.n=TRUE, fancy=TRUE)

On my "devices" (Mac OS X 10.5.6, R 2.8.1, quartz) the boxes around the leaf labels are a bit too low on the default screen device, and sending the output to a pdf file does not correct that problem, but as always the code is there for you to work with.

--
David Winsemius

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.8.1 Patched (2009-01-07 r47515)
i386-apple-darwin9.6.0

locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rpart_3.1-42

[1] grid_2.8.1      lattice_0.17-20 tools_2.8.1

> capabilities()
jpeg png tiff tcltk X11 aqua http/ftp sockets libxml fifo cledit TRUE TRUE FALSE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE
   iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
    TRUE     TRUE    FALSE     TRUE

On Feb 25, 2009, at 1:01 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

How do you want the labels to appear? Each branch will be the logical conjunction of the criteria for *all* of the upstream splits. Perhaps you can get direction by looking at the code of text.rpart:

getAnywhere(text.rpart)

Any split would need to add an "& Split-N yes" or an "& Split-N No" to any lower branch.

--
David Winsemius

On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Utkarsh Singhal wrote:

Hi David,

May be I was not clear, but I want to label the branches itself and not the branching points or the leaves.

Regards
Utkarsh