Hi all,
I'm kind of amazed at the answers suggested for the relatively simple question, "How many times has each R package been downloaded?". Some have veered off in another direction, like working out how many packages a package depends upon, or whether someone downloads more than one copy. The response about ranking packages by the number of questions asked about them may be interesting, but may not relate very well at all to popularity in terms of downloads. If people were constantly asking questions about one of the packages I maintain, I would be working on the help pages to improve them, not basking in the inferred glory of having a popular package. There is one way that the download count would be very useful for package maintainers, if no one else. Take as an example the package concord, that has not been maintained for a year or more since the content was merged into the irr package. If I knew that no one downloaded concord any more, I would surely petition those in charge of the archive to remove it or at least transfer it to the package museum. No point in having ever more packages on CRAN if they are never downloaded.

Jim