s...@xlsolutions-corp.com wrote:
 Hi Spencer,

 XLSolutions is currently analyzing r-help archived questions to rank
packages for the upcoming R-PLUS 3.3 Professional version and we will be
happy to share the outcome with interested parties. Please email
d...@xlsolutions-corp.com

I would expect that the correlation between popularity on the one hand and usefulness as well as quality to be relatively low. If it was possible to rate the downloaders in respect to "seriousness" and whether they actually use the package for some sensible purpose I would be more interested. Consider a highly specialized and good quality package used by a relatively small group of distinguished reseachers. Would that have a high rank? No. But important? Possibly yes.

Tom

 Regards -
 Sue Turner
 Senior Account Manager