On Jun 7, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Brown, Tony Nicholas wrote:

Dear all,

I recently saw a graph on television that displayed selected
words/phrases in a speech scaled in size according to their frequency.
So words/phrases that were often used appeared large and words that were
rarely used appeared small. The closest thing I can find on the web to
approximate what I saw can be found here:
http://stateoftheunion.onetwothree.net/ The example at that website is
more complicated but captures the general idea.

Would someone point me in the right direction in terms of replicating
such a graph.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tony,

What you are referring to is called a 'tag cloud'. See this page:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_cloud

They are commonly used on wikis, Twitter and so forth. For example:

  http://tweetstats.com/trends

The only thing that I found for R is by Gregor Gorjanc, but the information seems to be dated:

  http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan/software/R/index.html#tagCloud

I have cc'd him here for any updates.

Otherwise, there are some links on the Wikipedia page and some other applications such as Wordle:

  http://www.wordle.net/

HTH,

Marc Schwartz