On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Henrik Bengtsson
<h...@stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Quite a while ago I put up "R Coding Conventions (RCC) - a draft", now at:
>
>  http://docs.google.com/View?id=dddzqd53_2646dcw759cb
>
> It's useful for beginners and those coding "randomly".  Like it or not.
>
> It's ok to try to persuade people coding randomly, but otherwise it is
> waste of time to get into arguing over if-else or bracketing - we all
> have our own favorite.
>
> /Henrik

No, it IS not a waste of time.  I have wasted considerable time due the lack
of a standard.  Yesterday I was debugging panel.levelplot and found this
code:

    if (x.is.factor) {
        ux <- sort(unique(x[!is.na(x)]))
        lx <- rep(1, length(ux))
        cx <- ux
    }
    else {
        ux <- sort(unique(x[!is.na(x)]))
        bx <- if (length(ux) > 1)
            c(3 * ux[1] - ux[2], ux[-length(ux)] + ux[-1], 3 *
                ux[length(ux)] - ux[length(ux) - 1])/2
        else ux + c(-0.5, 0.5) * minXwid
        lx <- diff(bx)
        cx <- (bx[-1] + bx[-length(bx)])/2
    }

You can't step through this because the "else" block starts on a new line.
So you have to manually evaluate the value of "x.is.factor" to determine if
it is TRUE or FALSE, scroll down to the line below "else" and continue
stepping through the code.  Try not to forget to accidentally evaluate the
last brace or do something else that kicks you out of the browser and forces
you to start all over again.

Forbidding the use of "else" without a leading curly bracket would have
saved me MUCH time over the years...

(Sorry Deepayan.  I love lattice.  Please forgive me.)

Kevin Wright