I tried calling R from a shell script and it works. This is an example file
rscript.sh

R --no-save << EOT
x<-2*pi
print(cbind(x,sin(x)))
quit("no")
EOT

This works perfectly on the Linux machine in which I have logged in via SSH
using the command ("./rscript.sh")

I tried running this command using php

<?php

$output = array();
$$retval = 0;
$a = shell_exec('./rscript.sh'." 2>&1");
//print phpinfo();
print $a;

?>

this does not work and gives me this error:

./rscript.sh: line 1: R: command not found

Anybody familiar with this?