I wish to create a multipanel plot (map) from several datasets ("d" and
"q" in the example below). I can condition the main xyplot statement on
the "site" variable, but I don't know how to pass a conditioning variable
to panel.xyplot plot so that the x-y coordinates from dataset q are only
plotted at the appropriate site.

library(lattice)
d <- data.frame(site  = c(rep("A",12), rep("B",12)),
x=rnorm(24),y=rnorm(24))                        # Create dataframe "d",
with 12 x-y coordinates for each site
q <- data.frame(site  = c(rep("A",7), rep("B",7)),
x=rnorm(14),y=rnorm(14))                        # Create dataframe "q",
with 7 pairs of x-y coordinates for each site.

mypanel <- function(...){
        panel.xyplot(q$x, q$y, col="red")               # Statement that
needs a "Site" conditioning variable
        panel.xyplot(...)}

xyplot(y~x|site, d, panel=mypanel)      # Statement erroneously plots all
14 x-y points in "q" on panels for sites A & B

Dr. Seth  W. Bigelow
Biologist, USDA-FS Pacific Southwest Research Station
1731 Research Park Drive, Davis California