I'm stumped after an hour or so reading about subscripts in panel.xyplot.
Apparently the panel function is executed for each subset of data in the
main dataset (specified by the conditioning variable, 'site' in my
example), and the 'subscripts' keyword passes a vector of the
corresponding row numbers to the panel function. But, if I want the panel
function to simultaneously plot data from a different dataframe, as in the
example below, I don't understand how having a vector of row numbers from
a subset of the dataframe used in the main xyplot statement helps me with
selecting data from an entirely different dataframe ('q' in my example).

library(lattice)

d <- data.frame(site  = c(rep("A",12), rep("B",12)),
x=rnorm(24),y=rnorm(24))
q <- data.frame(site  = c(rep("A",7), rep("B",7)),
x=rnorm(14),y=rnorm(14))

mypanel <- function(...){
                panel.xyplot(q$x, q$y, col="red")
                panel.xyplot(...)}

xyplot(y ~ x | site, d,
        panel = mypanel
        )

--Seth

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Seth W Bigelow <sbige...@fs.fed.us> wrote:
> I wish to create a multipanel plot (map) from several datasets ("d" and
> "q" in the example below). I can condition the main xyplot statement on
> the "site" variable, but I don't know how to pass a conditioning
variable
> to panel.xyplot plot so that the x-y coordinates from dataset q are only
> plotted at the appropriate site.

The keyword is 'subscripts'. Look at the entry for 'panel' in ?xyplot,
and let us know if you still have doubts.

-Deepayan