What is the context? What do the "outliers" represent? If you think carefully about the context, you may find the answer.

hope this helps. spencer graves
p.s. I know statisticians who worked for HP before the split and who still work for either HP or Agilent, I'm not certain which. If you want to contact me off-line, I can give you a couple of names if that might help.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

This is more a statistics question rather than R question. But I thought people on this list may have some pointers.

MY question is like the following:
I would like to have a robust regression line. The data I have are mostly clustered
around a small range. So
the regression line tend to be influenced strongly by outlier points (with large
cook's distance). From the application
's background, I know that the line should pass (0,0), which is far away from the data
cloud. I would like to add this
point to have a more robust line. The question is: does it make sense to do this? what
are the negative impacts if any?

thanks,
jonathan