Hi Patrick,

I was breaking my head with this problem for one afternoon. Being more
a GIS person, my ideas was that one should be able to get a
StaticGoogleMaps image to some GIS format, i.e. to convert it to a
SpatialGridDataFrame. Then it is rather easy to overlay
points/lines/polygons using the spplot function (or to export to some
external GIS format e.g. geotiff). The procedure is now explained on
p.103-105 in my book (http://spatial-analyst.net/book/DataSources).
Here is the complete code:

http://spatial-analyst.net/book/getStaticGoogleMaps.R

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/

Quoting Patrick Crutcher <pcrutc...@gmail.com>:

I have some shapefiles I want to plot over Google Maps tiles. I have
polygons, lines and point data. What's the most efficient way to do this?
One path might be to use the pkg RgoogleMaps, however, it is still unclear
to me how to do this. I assume using PlotonStaticMap with some combination
of reformatting the shapefile data. Thanks.

P.

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

----- End forwarded message -----