On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Roland Kaiser <roland.kai...@sbg.ac.at>wrote:

> Hi Patrik,
>
> like Tom suggested you may also want to download google maps tiles
> directly, mosaic them and warp to your desired projection.
>
> Tom's code getStaticGoogleMaps.R is a great thing!
> However, I can't run it on Mac OSX, because I failed to
> compile SAGA GIS. Instead developed code that calls GDAL programs.
>
> If you work on Mac OSX or another UNIX system
> you may try the script temporally here:
>
> http://www.users.sbg.ac.at/~9722152/fetchGE/fetchGE.zip<http://www.users.sbg.ac.at/%7E9722152/fetchGE/fetchGE.zip>
>
> Documentation is in file FetchGE.R
> You need to install GDAL, python and wget, as well as library(rgdal).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roland

If you don't want to tie yourself to the big friendly googlebeast, I've a
package that loads OpenStreetMap tiles into R graphics devices:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/webmaps/

 - no API key, no tricky licensing.

It also has code for creating OpenLayers web maps.

Barry

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings