Hi all,

Simon Blomberg wrote on 27/09/2010 08:10:
Hi Anne, Ted, Liam et al!,

On 25/09/10 02:51, tgarl...@ucr.edu wrote:
Hi Anne,

I am going to put this back online so others might benefit or chime in.
If you literally want to do correlations, then phylogenetically independent contrasts may be easiest. You just compute the standardized contrasts for each of your traits, then compute correlations (through the origin).

The correct statistical term is "noncentral correlation." Correlation "through the origin" makes no sense, as there is no line involved here. Nothing is going through the origin. (Although I guess we all know what we mean.)
You can also handle interactions with contrasts. You just need to compute the usual 0-1 dummy variables, compute contrasts of them, etc. This was discussed here:

Garland, T., Jr., P. H. Harvey, and A. R. Ives. 1992. Procedures for the analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts. Systematic Biology 41:18-32. Clobert, J., T. Garland, Jr., and R. Barbault. 1998. The evolution of demographic tactics in lizards: a test of some hypotheses concerning life history evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 11:329-364.

However, then you are most likely going to want to be back into regression models. At this point, I refer you back to what Liam Revell wrote.

Another interesting technical point. In general, PIC and PGLS are the same, especially if you stick with a simple Brownian motion model of character evolution. However, their complete mathematical identity has not, to my knowledge, been proven.
I have a proof. I have a paper submitted to Sys. Biol. on the topic.

You can find in my book the R code to get exactly the same coefficients with PICs and PGLS. This works as long as the tree is ultrametric (for equal variance). It's not a formal proof, of course, but a strong suspicion.

And, some things that can easily be done with PUC cannot easily be done with PGLS, partly because the proofs don't yet exist but also because the code to do it does not exist (so far as I am aware). For example, with PIC you can easily compute contrasts on a hierarchical tree for one trait, but on star with another. Or, you can use different sets of branch lengths for different traits if that made biological or statistical sense to do. We have used this ability sometimes when we have "nuisance variables" that need to be incorporated in our set of independent variables in a multiple regression model. Given that the nuisance variable is not phylogenetically inherited, it makes sense to compute contrasts on a star. We have done t!

From a biological point of view, I understand why you would want to do that. But be aware that this means the resulting estimator will not have minimum variance. Since the minimum variance property is a very useful property of PIC/GLS, I don't recommend Ted's approach. Keep the same tree for response AND explanatory variables. That way you are using the Minimum Variance Unbiased Estimator (MVUE). If you really want to use different trees/branch lengths for explanatory and response variables, then you should ditch GLS/PIC and move to a Measurement Error (Errors in Variables) model that explicitly incorporates covariance in explanatory variables. We have developed Bayesian methods to fit ME models for phylogenetic data in OpenBUGS and JAGS (submitted to Evolution). A good introduction to ME models is Carrol, Ruppert, Stafanski, Crainiceanu (2006). Measurement Error in Nonlinear Models. A Modern Perspective. Chapman & Hall.

I share some of Simon's concern but for a different reason. I see no problem to build complex models (and what Ted describes seems quite exciting) as long as you do that in a hierarchical and consistent way leading to the ability to test whether your added complexity is statistically significant. For instance, it is not clear to me how to test that different predictors have distinct correlation structures.

Emmanuel

  hi!
!
s sort of thing here:

Wolf, C. M., T. Garland, Jr., and B. Griffith. 1998. Predictors of avian and mammalian translocation success: reanalysis with phylogenetically independent contrasts. Biological Conservation 86:243-255. Perry, G., and T. Garland, Jr. 2002. Lizard home ranges revisited: effects of sex, body size, diet, habitat, and phylogeny. Ecology 83:1870-1885.

All of this then relates back to what Liam wrote. Anyway, none of these questions are entirely simple, nor the answers entirely straightforward.
If the answers were straightforward, it wouldn't be so much fun!

Cheers,

Simon.

Cheers,
Ted