David,
on the top of my head, if no species measurement strictly corresponds to zero, you may log-transform the data. You may then simulate Brownian motion in log-transformed values, which will correspond to a boundary of zero in a linear scale (i.e., the more negative the log number, the closer the trait value is to zero - but never zero - in a linear scale). This also explains why you can simulate the evolution of body mass employing Brownian motion in log-transformed units and no species will ever be assigned a body mass of zero. On more speculative grounds, this may simply reflect the fact that many biological processes and their regulation occur in a multiplicative, not additive, scale.

The problem with regards to this approach is that you cannot really have any species with a trait = 0 given that the log-transformation is impossible in this case, so you might add some constant in case this occurs (caution because the constant would be arbitrary and might have an impact on the outcome of analyses). Did not think about this for too long, though.

Hope this helps,
Enrico