    Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 19:28:26 +0100
    From: Alejandro Gonzalez <alejandro.gonza...@ebd.csic.es>
    Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] Dealing with Bounded Trait Measures
    To: <tgarl...@ucr.edu>

    Hello,
    Is there any plans, be it short-term or in the future, to implement
    PDSIMUL into a package for the R platform? It seems like it would
    make for a useful addition.
    Cheers
    Alejandro
    On 5, Mar 2011, at 6:55 PM, <tgarl...@ucr.edu> wrote:

      Hello David, Enrico, et al.,

      I may have lost track of what Dave was originally trying to do,
      and I am not familiar with all of the options presently available
      in r for simulating continuously valued traits along a specified
      phylogenetic tree.  However, I wanted to point out that MANY
      possibilities, including trends, the OU process, and actual limits
      to trait evolution implemented in several ways, are available in
      our original DOS program PDSIMUL.EXE that accompanies this paper:

      Garland, T., Jr., A. W. Dickerman, C. M. Janis, and J. A. Jones.
      1993. Phylogenetic analysis of covariance by computer simulation.
      Systematic Biology 42:265-292.

      It has been used many times to look at trends, limits, etc., e.g.,
      in these papers:

      Díaz-Uriarte, R., and T. Garland, Jr. 1996. Testing hypotheses of
      correlated evolution using phylogenetically independent contrasts:
      sensitivity to deviations from Brownian motion. Systematic Biology
      45:27-47.
      Laurin, M. 2010. Assessment of the relative merits of a few
      methods to detect evolutionary trends. Syst. Biol. 59:689-704.

      Cheers,
      Ted

      Theodore Garland, Jr.
      Professor
      Department of Biology
      University of California, Riverside
      Riverside, CA 92521
      Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
      Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
      Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
      Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
      Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu

      Main Departmental page:
      http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

      List of all Publications: