Sorry, I didn't see that this had already been addressed.

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston

On 5/17/2011 12:39 PM, David Bapst wrote:
Alanna-
It's because when multi2di() resolves the polytomies, it puts in zero-length
edges. This causes the phylogenetic variance-covariance matrix calculated
from your tree to be singular.

One solution would be to add a small arbitrary constant to your zero-length
edges, although I would caution you to try several different values and see
how your results differ.
-Dave Bapst, UChicago