"Code" means a sequence of R commands that I can run to reproduce your
problem.  As opposed to a narrative that I have to take guesses on, possibly
wasting both your time and mine.  You might have a look at

?savehistory

to get a quick way to obtain such a thing.

Your problem is caused by the fact that your data are incomplete.  You do not
have information on the depth of that node.  This is strange, and I think that
you must have done something to the tree.  When I do

load("ouch.RData")
archotreeouch <- ape2ouch(archotree)
brown(logflatnodes,archotreeouch)
hansen(logflatnodes,archotreeouch,diet,sqrt.alpha=1,sigma=1)

I do not get errors.

As for the problem with the initialization of hansen, you have discovered a
typo in the documentation, for which I am grateful to you!  It should read
'nchar*(nchar+1)/2'.  In your case, you must supply a scalar value, a guess as
to what the square root of alpha should be.

I will repair the documentation and upload a new version of ouch to CRAN soon.

Aaron

--
Aaron A. King, Ph.D.
Ecology & Evolutionary Biology