Hi David.

In general it is inconsequential whether X or Y are biologically inherited traits; but whether the residual error in Y given X is correlated or independent among species. In the case of "growth rate as a function of habitat degradation" this corresponds to:

Growth Rate = beta0 + beta1*Habitat Degradation + e

It seems highly plausible that the residual error in Growth Rate (e), that is error not explained by Habitat Degradation, is phylogenetically correlated. This would imply only that closely related species have growth rates that deviate from the mean relationship between growth rate and habitat degradation in similar ways. In this case, PIC or some other phylogenetic method should be used. To be clear also, contrasts need to be computed for both X & Y regardless of whether or not there is phylogenetic autocorrelation in both X & Y! (See Revell 2010, MEE; or, better yet, Stone 2011, Syst. Biol. doi:10.1093/sysbio/syq098.)

Regarding extinction probability, perhaps someone else on the list can address that specific example.

All the best, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston