Hi David.

> Poaching Intensity = beta0 + beta1*Body Size + e

I think it depends on how the residual error in the model is distributed (esp. correlated) among species. It seems possible to invent hypothetical scenarios (as I did in my previous email) about how the residual error in poaching intensity given body size could be phylogenetically autocorrelated, but this is fundamentally an empirical question. If the residual error of poaching intensity given body size is phylogenetically correlated and we ignore this then we risk overestimating the predictive value of our model.

In addition, the residual error is likely/guaranteed to be non-Brownian if the response variable is binary (e.g., extant v. extinct). For these type of data the tree should not be ignored, but simple GLS regression is probably not appropriate. One option might be the phylogenetic logistic regression of Ives & Garland (2009), but I'm not too familiar with this method.

All the best, Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston