Hi Jason. Matt is absolutely correct. You can do this with phytools. Say, for instance, you have an ultrametric phylogeny with branches in millions of years (tree) and data vector containing the trait values for species (x) and you want to test the hypothesis that the last 3.4 my has a different rate of evolution than the rest of the tree, you could do this as follows:

library(phytools) # load phytools
tree<-make.era.map(tree,c(0,max(nodeHeights(tree))-3.4))
plotSimmap(tree,pts=F,lwd=3) # visualize
fit<-brownie.lite(tree,x) # fit model

That's it. Good luck. Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://phytools.blogspot.com