Dear list,

I would like to construct a neighbor-joining tree from a data set in which each
taxon is characterized by a vector of integers ranging from 0 to 5. I would
like to treat these as unordered characters, i.e. assuming that the likelihood
of transitioning from 0 to 1 is the same as transitioning from 0 to 5. For
this, I would need some kind of "equal or not" distance function which
increases the distance between two taxa by one for each dimension that differs,
regardless of its magnitude.

Is such a distance function already implemented anywhere or is it easiest to
create one for myself?

Many thanks.
Kamila