I'm guessing this is because you need to specify the argument "file" by name and are not doing so - i.e.:

write.nexus(tree,file="filename")

This is because the first argument in write.nexus, unlike write.tree, is the ... three-dot argument so subsequent arguments need to be indicated by name (otherwise they are treated as additional trees to write). Let us know if specifying the argument file by name fixes your problem.

- Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org