The way I've handled this is probably inefficient, but I get the labels
to match up by writing the tree as I have plotted it, then reading that
back in: then, the tip labels are in order with the plotted tips, bottom
to top:

a = rtree(20)
plot(a)
a$tip.label ## labels match, bottom to top
plot(ladderize(a))
a$tip.label ## labels do not match
a <- read.tree(write.tree(ladderize(a)))
a <- read.tree(text = write.tree(ladderize(a)))
a$tip.label ## labels match once more, bottom to top

Though this may not be robust to future changes in ape, as I'm not doing
anything to check the tip order.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Andrew

--
Andrew Hipp, PhD
Senior Scientist in Plant Systematics and Herbarium Curator, The Morton

/*Address from 6 Jan through 10 Jul 2014:*
UMR 1202 BIOGECO - INRA / Université Bordeaux 1
69 route d'Arcachon / 33612 CESTAS Cedex / FRANCE
+33 5 57 12 28 31

*Permanent address*
4100 Illinois Route 53 / Lisle IL 60532-1293 / USA
+1 630 725 2094

/ http://systematics.mortonarb.org/lab
http://quercus.mortonarb.org
http://evbio.uchicago.edu/