Hi All,

I am going to suggest that when people want any sort of "phylogenetic
residuals" they do some checking on their own to try to verify what, exactly,
they are getting.  Here's one check you can do.  Compute phylogenetically
independent contrasts for two traits.  Perform a regression (through the
origin, of course) of one trait on the other.  Save the residuals.  Compare
them with the "phylogenetic residuals" you get from some other program that
does a PGLS regression (not with any transformation of the branch lengths).
Let us know what you find!

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Director, UCR Institute for the Development of Educational Applications

Editor in Chief, Physiological and Biochemical Zoology

Fail Lab: Episode One
http://testtube.com/faillab/zoochosis-episode-one-evolution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0msBWyTzU0