Hi all.

To the original question, you should be able to get these values first using gls(...,correlation=corBrownian(...)) in nlme & then applying residuals to the fitted model returned by gls. For instance, for data frame X with variables x & y, and ultrametric phylogeny tree, you might compute:

library(ape)
library(nlme)
fit<-gls(y~x,data=X,correlation=corBrownian(1,tree))
residuals(fit)

(phytools also has a function for this, phyl.resid, but it does exactly the same thing as the code above, and thus there is really no reason to prefer that function - except perhaps to cross-check your result for errors.)

With regards to Ted's comment, indeed these are different quantities. Though the fitted coefficients from a contrasts regression should be the same as above, the residuals will be different (and there will be one fewer of them, besides). These residuals, from the contrasts regression, should be phylogenetically independent; however they are not longer associated with species, but with 'contrasts' or nodes in the tree. To obtain these residuals from a contrasts regression you should be able to do something like:

X<-X[tree$tip.label,] ## precautionary
pic.x<-pic(X[,"x"],tree)
pic.y<-pic(X[,"y"],tree)
fit<-lm(pic.y~pic.x-1)
residuals(fit)

There is no particular reason to prefer one set of quantities over the other - it just depends on what subsequent analyses are intended. In the former case, the residuals are associated with species - but these residuals consequently will be phylogenetically correlated & thus the tree needs to be taken into consideration in any subsequent analysis. The latter residuals are phylogenetically independent, but no longer associated with species. (I hate to cite myself, but this is discussed in my paper Revell 2009; Evolution.)

I hope this is of some help.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org