Hi Glenn & Ted,

An overview of phylogeny data simulation can be found in the chapter included in Garamszegi's book "Modern Phylogenetic Comparative Methods". There is an accompanying page on the book's web site:

http://www.mpcm-evolution.org/practice/online-practical-material-chapter-13

This includes several case studies.

Best,

Emmanuel