Brian-

Is your tree non-ultrametric because it contains extinct taxa from the
fossil record, or is it simply an undated tree of extant taxa?

To my knowledge, there isn't yet a satisfactory solution to the first
(no BISSE for paleo-phylogenies) but if the second then, it seems the
best route would be to date it and use the methods developed for
ultrametric trees.

Cheers,
-Dave

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Brian A. Gill <gillbri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I'm trying to look at the association between a discrete binary predictor
> (Latitude: Colorado/Ecuador) and a continuous response (species richness).
>
> My phylogeny is a 50% majority rule consensus tree made in MrBayes. The
> tree has polytomies and is not ultrametric.
>
> I've found the methods below for looking at the influence of a discrete
> binary trait on richness, but I'm not sure if my tree is suitable or if
> there is a better approach.
>
> 1) Diversitree package BiSSE
> 2) Caper package using MacroCAIC

> Thank You.
>

> Brian
>
> --
> Brian A. Gill
>
> VISIT MY WEBSITE:
> http://gillbriana.wix.com/brian-gill
>
> FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
> @CSUBrianGill
>
> Colorado State University Biology
> 1878 Campus Delivery
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
> United States of America
>
> 970-215-7037

David W. Bapst, PhD
Adjunct Asst. Professor, Geology and Geol. Eng.
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
501 E. St. Joseph
Rapid City, SD 57701

http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~dbapst/
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/paleotree/index.html