Hi David and Joe.

Thanks for your input/questions.

David: My tree is non-ultrametric because it is undated tree of extant
taxa. It does not include taxa from the fossil record. Making a dated tree
seems like a good option, but what about the option of using NonParametric
Rate Smoothing (NPRS) or some other conversion to make my existing tree
ultrametric? I see this approach in some studies.

Alternatively, sister-clade comparisons could be an option, but it seems
like they are old and not powerful. Based on my tree topology and the
number of taxa, I'm not sure I have enough contrasts for a robust test.

Joe: For BiSSE, the discrete binary predictor is assumed to evolve
according to a Markov model along the tree. The model is then used to
estimate speciation, extinction, and character transition rates. For
MacroCAIC, I assume the a discrete binary trait would be modeled in a
similar way to determine the states of internal nodes on the tree.

So, thinking about evolution of a discrete trait by a Markov process on a
non-ultrametric tree, it seems for BiSSE having non-contemporaneous
lineages would inappropriately inflate the extinction parameter. For
MacroCAIC, I can't think of a reason why a non-ultrametric tree would be
problematic other than how differences in lengths of branches based on
relative divergence vs. absolute time might affect estimates of states at
internal nodes. If this is the case, does that mean that other procedures
using Markov transition matrices cannot be used on trees with relative
divergence for branch lengths (e.g. stochastic character mapping)?

Thanks for all the help.

Brian