A similar solution is to create a pdf:

pdf(file="AwesomeTree.pdf", width=10, height=10)
plot(phy)
dev.off()

As you increase the width and height, the labels become proportionally
smaller. You can probably mess around with cex options, too, but this is
the approach I normally use.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Director for Postdoctoral Activities, National Institute for
Mathematical & Biological Synthesis <http://www.nimbios.org> (NIMBioS)
Communication Director, Society of Systematic Biologists