Just to throw out another quick suggestion - for a tree with "only" 220 tips you could try a "fan" style plot which plots the tip labels radially leaving you with a bit more chance of being able to read them.

This is implemented in the plot method for the object class, but also in phytools::plotTree. For instance:

plotTree(tree,lwd=1,type="fan",fsize=0.7)

Of course, as Brian suggested you can wrap that it in pdf(...) // dev.off() to use a PDF as your plotting device:

pdf(file="mytree.pdf",width=10,height=10)
plot(tree,lwd=1,type="fan",fsize=0.8)
dev.off()

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org