...it turns out the fatal error was caused by taxon numbering issues -
basically, my tree was stored in nexus format and my taxon numbering under
"translate" in the trees block were not continuous - I think some were
pruned but the numbering still reflected those in the full original tree. I
got this resolved using BayesTrees (
http://www.evolution.rdg.ac.uk/BayesTrees.html) and renumbering the taxa.
Just out of curiosity, is there a recommended way to deal with this?

thanks,
Manabu

--
Manabu Sakamoto, PhD