I think this is ok in theory: say you have 10% of the weight on the ER
model, 90% on the ARD model, so your states at the nodes are based 10% on
the probabilities from ER, 90% from ARD. [Worth noting, of course, that
with N tips with one character each, estimating N-1 ancestral states, plus
the rates, plus the model weights, is asking a bit much of the data -- it
can be worth asking if there's another way to answer the biological
question]. The risk of model averaging is if some of the models are truly
terrible: you might get extreme parameter values because there's not enough
info to estimate them well. It won't be apparent with discrete ancestral
states (since there's a finite, reasonable state space), but you could have
an asymmetrical rate near infinity, for example, if you fit an ARD model
with not much data, and infinity times a weight for that model still means
a big number.

Model averaging for parameter estimates between the rates is ok, btw:

symmetrical model:

rate_0_to_1 = s
rate_1_to_0 = s

asymmetrical model:

rate_0_to_1 = a
rate_1_to_0 = b

weighted params:

rate_0_to_1 = s * weight_sym + a * weight_asym
rate_1_to_0 = s * weight_sym + b * weight_asym

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville