Hi Jake.

[Edit: I see just now that Brian has also responded to this inquiry. I
have no doubt that his message is more insightful than mine - but I'll
nonetheless send what I was writing anyway just in case it contributes
anything useful to the discussion.]

If you're simply interested in the states at nodes, you might consider
just multiplying the marginal reconstructions under maximum likelihood
by the Akaike weights of each model & summing them.

The former are probabilities that the node is in each state conditioned
on a model, and the latter are the probabilities that each of the models
is the best of the set. If the models in the set genuinely comprise all
possible ways in which your character could have evolved (they don't,
but still), then the model weighted average marginal reconstructions
should give the total probability that each node is in each state.

If you really want to do stochastic mapping, you might consider some
kind of rjMCMC in which you sample models & transition rates from their
joint posterior distribution and then generate stochastic character maps
based on this sample. This is not implemented in phytools::make.simmap
(it does MCMC, but only given a model), but is not to hard to envision
doing, so long as you are careful about designing the rjMCMC.

Now to read Brian's answer....

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell
Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston
Profesor Asistente, Universidad Católica de la Ssma Concepción
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/, http://www.phytools.org

Academic Director UMass Boston Chile Abroad (starting 2019):
https://www.umb.edu/academics/caps/international/biology_chile